Thursday, September 24, 2009

Land!!!

While there are far worse things than being underway for just over 2 weeks without land, it is certainly enough time to realize the things you take for granted in life. Who ever thought I would long for solid ground? Who ever thought I would long for walls that stood vertical instead of tilting at a 45 degree angle. Who ever thought I would long for sunlight? Who ever thought I would long for a hunk of metal with 4 wheels attached to it? Ah, these are all questions that might seem silly but hold much meaning within my heart.

We pulled into Guam yesterday. While I was given all the things above, I was also given buckets of sweat and a stench of a couple hundred sailors surrounding me at an all hand's call. To summarize it in 3 words: Guam Is Hot! I guess it isn't really that is it hot outside. It's more a matter of feeling like I am walking through a concrete jungle with enough humidity to make me want a towel after a few minutes of being outside.

It's beautiful! How can I declare this after all I have just said? There is so much greenery after weeks of nothing but a dull & drab gray of the ship. The water is a perfect green turquoise color. You can see fish swimming around the pier that you would normally only see in a saltwater aquarium at your local pet store. I just wish we had more time here so I could go snorkeling. Oh well, maybe another time.

We are about to get ready to hit the open water again. While I am not looking forward to it, I also desire to get it over with. To look on the bright side, any change to get back out to sea is another chance to move forward and closer to home. I choose to look at it as we are on our way home. It's just going to take 5 and a half months to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment